× Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

buying a928

• djflex
  • djflex's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Feb 2017 15:49 #19531 by djflex
buying a928 was created by djflex
I wanted to know should I purchase a 1979 porsche for 3k it starts up from under the hood not the normal way using a key. I can't drive the car because clutch pedal stuck to the floor. The car looks a little rough. Painted from the original color. And a few other issues. Any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2017 19:02 - 12 Feb 2017 19:04 #19532 by Burlingame
Replied by Burlingame on topic buying a928
I guess it depends on what you want to put in to it and where you want to end up. You should also consider the timing belt, water pump and the other belts. My guess neither have been replaced. The timing belt and water pump will likely run you between $2500 and $3000. I am not sure about a 1979, but I am starting to see the values of the 1985S bring 20K for one in good shape. For what you will likely have into the one you are looking at you might find one already working correctly. The good thing is that the values are slowly creeping up which gives you some working room.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2017 19:04 by Burlingame. Reason: Grammar Corrections

More
14 Mar 2017 12:02 #19587 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic buying a928
Yeas, it sounds a little rough, so if you planning to do a lot of work and research yourself,,,,, might be a good find and not too expensive in the long run. If you are getting pros to do everything,,,, cost will ratchet up FAST.

No doubt the older models are starting to pick up some as the supply of good cars will continue to dwindle, so I would look around first and see whats out there in your price range to compare. If there is nothing you like then go fort, just be sure you are committed as it may take a little longer as parts and knowledge for pre 82-83 cars are likely not as plentiful as the newer model cars. We can offer more advice with some pictures and descriptions should you decide to go that route.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Slate Blue Metallic w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!