× Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

newbie saying hello!

• SwampShark 85
  • SwampShark 85's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2016 11:40 #19347 by SwampShark 85
newbie saying hello! was created by SwampShark 85
Hi everyone
Thanks for letting me join this great forum.i have a 85 928 auto with 160k that i picked up for $2500 that had electrical issues when i bought it from a man that had it 10yrs an couldnt get the dash or ac or windows to work and if youve ever been to louisiana in a black on black car with no air an closed windows then you know it will ruin even a 928s fun.lol
He did remove and clean the gas tank and change the pump and filter and had the maf rebuilt tho.
I took it home and changed all the fuses and cleaned the relays and the grounds above the fuse box an under the dash an the battery strap and replaced the big ground under the car and both ground straps on the fenders by the coils and she fired right up and everything worked even the ac..then i replaced the tb/wp all the plugs and its been my daily driver for a yr now.
So now i have a gas leak under my tank..im hoping the Po left something loose but is there any know prone to leak spots i need to be aware of? Thanks in advance

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2016 12:50 #19348 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic newbie saying hello!
Hey SwampShark, certianly welcome to you and thank you for joining us. I am sure you will find help and commarderie here at the OC!

I have not heard of any common tank leak points other than the connection points on top of the tank.

Regards,

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Slate Blue Metallic w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

• SwampShark 85
  • SwampShark 85's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2016 13:46 #19353 by SwampShark 85
Replied by SwampShark 85 on topic newbie saying hello!
Ok thanks..guess ill get to it!

More
05 Nov 2016 15:35 #19354 by Kiln_Red
Replied by Kiln_Red on topic newbie saying hello!
Welcome! Congrats on scoring a decent car for so cheap, and props to you for catching up the deferred maintenance.

The tank may be leaking from anywhere, but the most likely of places is to be at the bottom of the tank from one of three areas. It could be leaking from around the in-tank strainer outlet. This is obviously not a quick fix.

It could also leak from the hose the leads from the in-tank strainer to the pump. The hose isn't the easiest to replace with the tank in the car but it is doable. Third likely place that comes to mind is from around the tank straps themselves which should be visible with nothing else but a quick underneath inspection.

You can remove the two 10mm nuts that secure the cover for the pump and filter with an extension and deep socket to get a look at the strainer outlet and hose.

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!