× Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Changing oil (Type/DIY)

• viprklr
  • viprklr's Avatar Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2016 12:09 #18882 by viprklr
Changing oil (Type/DIY) was created by viprklr
I'm sure I will open a can of worms on the issue of oil viscosity/type but what brand/viscosity are most of you running. Our 1986 928S (Ohio) will be driven occasionally in the summer only. I've read on Rennlist a few of the owners run 20/50 weight oil. Also, I can't find anywhere a DIY guide as to the steps in changing the oil. On the plus side, I do have a lift in my garage and I do have a Harbor Freight 5 gallon oil catch so the amount of oil won't be an issue.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks Todd

2015 Porsche GT3
1986 Porsche 928S
1986 Porsche 911Cab
2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2016 23:01 #18885 by jmwise
Replied by jmwise on topic Changing oil (Type/DIY)
Hi Todd - If your engine is like my 90, the drain plug is on the driver's side of oil pan and has a crush ring. If you buy a filter from Roger Tyson at 928sRUs, he usually tapes a new crush ring to the box. I'd have to look up the torque specs on the bolt, but it's not very much - make sure it's snug but DO NOT overtighten. Here are the filling capacities and engine oil specs from the 1986 US mode owners manual. I'm not sure how warm it gets in the Ohio summer, but 15W-50 is probably fine, as is 20W-50. Mobil 1 synthetic is very popular, as are oils from Redline, Torco, Brad Penn. The most critical thing other than viscosity is the oil MUST have sufficient zinc anti-wear (ZDDP) in the amounts of 1200ppm or greater. Our engines do NOT tolerate modern low viscosity oils with lesser ZDDP amounts. Hope this helps!

Jarrod Wise
90GT
928 Owners Club President
928 Registry Chair

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!