Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Suspension Upgrades

Suspension Upgrades 20 Dec 2020 10:55 #21643

• sboehringer
  • Junior Forum Member
Can anyone recommend any aftermarket suspension upgrades? I have a 79.
Stephan Boehringer
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Suspension Upgrades 26 Dec 2020 13:30 #21644

• Rich928
The best start is to replace the shock absorbers and any worn rubber bushings. Stock suspension for normal driving is quite good as the suspension was very advanced for the day and quite satisfactory even today. A good set of tires also makes a great improvement.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

Suspension Upgrades 04 Jan 2021 12:50 #21656

• Dundertaker
  • New Forum Member
I've upgraded the original 34-year-old Boges with the Adjustable Koni (internal rod, not the dial racer set) with the stock springs repainted. They are an amazing upgrade. I'm just finishing the rear bushings this week. The 'weissach" bush just became available to the aftermarket after years of being NLA. At a minimum, any new shock/strut upgrade from what you probably have will make a HUGE difference. If I was running a more "stock" car I would suggest just going with the BOGE or whatever Roger/your supplier of choice recommends. I've got a lightly modified 86.5, and the adjustable will allow for some change to ride (not going to race it) over time as they soften up. They are also rebuildable. Check the other forums and the opinions are as varied as "what oil should I use", but there are fewer choices. Boge, Koni, Bilsetien, Oliens, in that order by price. If you're just wanting a decent ride go with the Boge or Koni's. There is about a $300 difference.

If the springs are good you can clean them up and re-use them. I just read you can have them re-hardened (didn't know that) but I'd doubt that would be necessary, but others may have better insight on this. I do know a few people that warned off of going too crazy on a street car with spring swaps and specifically to stay away from progressive rate springs. Hope that helps.

Suspension Upgrades 01 Feb 2021 18:01 #21748

• Wrinkles89
  • Junior Forum Member
I am wondering of this upgrade does raise the front end as well. My '84 928 is very low and wanted to try and raise it a couple of inches if possible. My initial thoughts are shocks, springs and tires. I just took a picture of the left front end and one can see it is about 2-3/4" off the ground.
Ideas and comments appreciated.
/Users/dariorodriguez/Desktop/LeftFrontEnd.jpg
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds