Brakes

• Burlingame
  • Burlingame's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2016 12:54 #19360 by Burlingame
Brakes was created by Burlingame
I am planning on changing the rotors and pads on my 1985 928 S. I have never done this before and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a brand of brake bleeder. I am going to start with the front rotors and pads and do the back as time permits. I searched you tube for videos but did not find anything specific to my year and model. I have already ordered the rotors and pads.

Other than the brake bleeder are their any other specific tools recommended.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2016 19:14 #19364 by Spencer
Replied by Spencer on topic Brakes
Why the bleeder not needed unless you introduce air into the lines or are exchanging calipers , simply depress the pads install the new pads and pump pedal to seat the new pads in place, simple no bleeder tools needed 20+ year master tech ASE certified.

• Burlingame
  • Burlingame's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2016 20:16 #19369 by Burlingame
Replied by Burlingame on topic Brakes
Thanks Spencer,
I will be replacing the rotors also and thought I would flush the brake fluid since I just bought the car this year and have no idea when it was last done.

More
11 Nov 2016 00:11 #19370 by Spencer
Replied by Spencer on topic Brakes
OK here is how to flush the brakes.
1 lift vehicle.
2 remove wheels
3 get a water bottle the kind you drink from, empty
4 fill bottle about 2in with fresh brake fluid, replace cap poke a hole in the cap, large enough to pass a vacuum line through.
5push line through hole in cap, making sure that the line is secure below the fluid line , now take the exposed lineage attach it to your R/R L/R R/F L/F.
6 START WITH THE CALIPER FARTHEST FROM THE MASTER CYLINDER.
7 NOW ONE CALIPER at a time open the bleeder with vacuum line attached, now slowly push on the pedal, with a clear used water bottle you will see all that dirty brake fluid push into the bottle everytime you push down on the pedal close bleeder go to next caliper repeat. MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE RESERVOIR FULL DO NOT LET IT GO EMPTY WHILE YOUR FLUSHING OUT THE OLD FLIED.
8 ONCE DONE WITH THE FLUSH, TOP OFF RESERVOIR, AND PUMP UP THE PEDAL SHOULD BE FIRM.
9 IT'S EASIER WITH 2 PEOPLE ONE ON THE PEDAL THE OTHER ON THE BLEEDER AND THE BOTTLE, ONE PERSON CAN DO IT GOOD LUCK .I'LL MONITOR THIS POST TO SEE HOW IT GOES FOR YOU.

More
28 Feb 2017 06:42 #19553 by allexsander
Replied by allexsander on topic Brakes
Just curious on what's the general consensus for the best brake pads.

More
14 Mar 2017 11:50 #19585 by mm928
Replied by mm928 on topic Brakes
A wide open topic depending on use,,, daily driver weekend runabout, track days etc. Plenty of good pads out there and widely varied in price as well. If you have manhole covers for wheels then you do not need to care about ceramic as you won't see much brake dust. A good high performance mid-range pad is sufficient for most duty. The Brake sites will help you with that kind of info. Hawk pads are fairly popular, you might start there.

1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Slate Blue Metallic w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

More
15 Mar 2017 15:54 #19590 by Hacker-Pschorr
Replied by Hacker-Pschorr on topic Brakes
I've been using the Motive Power Bleeder for at least a decade, works great and really makes quick work of bleeding the system, especially the clutch.
I no longer fill it with fluid, I just use it to keep pressure on the reservoir. Just need to be careful not to run the reservoir dry. Once I have my air compressor and lines installed, I'm going to make a custom fitting with a regulator to do the same thing.

Just curious on what's the general consensus for the best brake pads.

A lot of personal preference, personally I stick with Hawk and EBC on most cars.

Moderators: Rich928billvvOC

Don't have an account yet? Register Now!